We all have trouble focusing from time to time, but for some reason it is always a problem when we are at work!
It really shouldn’t be that hard, right?
We sit at our desks and do our work…or at least that is how it is supposed to go.
But in reality, staying focused at work can be a challenge. There are always noisy coworkers, you forget to have your morning coffee, maybe you just aren’t crazy in love with your job….there are so many factors that contribute as to why we might be having trouble focusing.
Well, you are not alone! Nearly half of all Americans say they are only able to get in about fifteen minutes of solid work in before becoming distracted!
So how can you improve your focus at work, while being productive at the same time?
- It is very important to have a comfortable place to work. You don’t want to have to constantly stand to stretch your legs or your back. When your desk setup makes you happy and at ease you will be able to work for hours without your body or eyes being strained.
- Keeping your work area clutter free is very important. When there are too many visual distractions, it can be very difficult to stay focused. Try to straighten up your work space and keep only what is necessary to do your job in front of you.
- Try to get to work right away and not waste time in the mornings. Many people socialize or browse the internet first thing when they get to the office. But in reality, the first hour in the morning is when you are the most productive.
- Instead of reading your emails as they come in, set aside a block of time to go through them. You’ll find that you will get so much more work done by doing this.
- Instead of trying to focus all day long, make sure to give yourself lots of small breaks throughout the day. Just because you work through lunch doesn’t mean you will get more done. A short break after concentrating intensely on a project will be very beneficial than working straight through.
- We have all been in the office with chatty coworkers and it can be very distracting. You need to be honest with your team members and let them know that you really need to focus on your work.
It can be so hard to focus while at work. With everything that can be going on, it can seem like an impossibility to get anything done.
However, with a few small adjustments you can be much more focused and much more productive!
How do you manage to stay focused and get your work done?Dave Baney is the founder and CEO of 55 Questions, LLC and author of "The 3x5 Coach: A Practical Guide to Coaching Your Team for Greater Results and Happier People", which is now available in Paperback or a Kindle version at https://tinyurl.com/y8ecykfy
www.55Questions.com Follow Dave on twitter https://twitter.com/55Questions